Friday, September 07, 2012

Montréal is Food Heaven Series: Reuben's Deli

When you think of Montreal, many think of smoked meat, and when you think of smoked meat, the first place that usually comes to mind would be Schwartz's. Schwartz's is great, but I'd like to introduce you to Reuben's Deli, which in my opinion, has smoked meat that is just as great. 

The first time I visited Montreal and ate at Reuben's, I stumbled upon it and was not under the impression that is a famous or popular restaurant. However, my second visit this time changed my views. When we arrived at the place on a night of a weekday, there was a long line up and we even saw a set with big bright lights and giant video cameras. There was a person speaking in front of the camera as they filmed the chefs making smoked meat sandwiches behind the counter. Their sandwiches looked very impressive and I swear there were 15 slices of meat in one! 


For my meal, I ordered Reuben's Spaghetti Bolognese, which was essentially spaghetti bolognese topped with smoked meat. While the dish seemed ordinary with a simple twist, it was nothing close to ordinary. I absolutely adored this! The bolognese sauce was very meaty and full of tomato flavour but did not overpower the smoked meat taste. It was so delicious that I have intense cravings for it every time I think about it. It is almost an enough reason for me to visit Montreal again.



Although I could barely finish my spaghetti, there's always room for dessert, right? After a satisfying main course, the chocolate cake was the cherry on top. The chocolate icing was not overly sweet and the cake was very moist and rich. Ridding the savory meaty flavour in my mouth, the cake replaced it with rich chocolatey heaven. I still remember the blissful satisfaction I felt walking out of this restaurant.


If you are travelling in a group and want more variety than smoked meat sandwiches, Reuben's is definitely your first choice. Or if you're hungry before or after shopping on Rue Ste-Catherine, make a stop at Reuben's for a yummy meal!


NOTE: There two Reuben's locations may differ in terms in food quality and service. This review is only intended for the No. 1116 location. 

More photos:
  


Taste: 
Environment: 
Service: 
Price: $$


Reuben's Deli
1116 Rue Sainte-Catherine O.
Montreal, QC

Reuben's Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...