Friday, March 02, 2012

Well Done, CinCin

This Valentine's day, I took it upon myself to make a reservation for a well-known Italian restaurant, CinCin (according to the waiter, it's pronounced "chin-chin"). I love pasta and wanted to go somewhere special for the occasion so CinCin was pretty much the perfect venue.

To get to the restaurant, you have to go up a set of stone stairs, which whisks you away from the busy streets and into the warm, inviting interior. CinCin has great ambiance; it feels laid back while still maintaining a sense of classiness. The glow of the earth-toned decor made me feel very comfortable the moment I walked in the door. 

Calamari $15.50 
I was a little scared that having calamari would stifle what CinCin really had to offer in terms of food since it's such a simple appetizer, but I am really glad we did! This was one of the the best calamaris I've ever had. The chewy squid tops were stuffed with with crumbly, smoky chorizo, bringing together a magnificent composite of textures and tastes. The tentacles were wonderfully crispy and kept the classic calamari touch. I'm not sure what kind of sauce it was but trust me, it was really good.


Reginette Bolognese $21.00
For my main I chose the Reginette Bolognese, which was a flat type of pasta served with a meat-based tomato sauce. This was very hearty and tomato-y in flavor, which as you may know, is my absolute favorite. A little sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and this pasta lived up to my expectations in every way. To be honest, I was half expecting to be leaving dinner that night still hungry, but to my pleasant surprise, the portion was actually quite large!

AAA Beef Tenderloin 6oz $36.50
If you've ever wondered exactly how good can steak get, CinCin's answer would be mind-blowingly good. Indeed, this steak was mind-blowingly good...possibly the best steak I've ever tasted. It was so juicy and succulent that it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Seared on the outside and red on the inside, this steak was a perfect medium rare. The vegetable sides were very fresh and crisp.

Valentine's Special Raspberry Ganache $18.00
Onto the most anticipated part of my meal - dessert! They were offering a raspberry ganache specially for Valentines day so naturally we went for it. The ganache was so heavenly dense and creamy! It was topped with a ball of raspberry jelly which was a little tart, balancing out the sweetness of the ganache. The most interesting part of this dessert were those tiny balls situated on top of the chocolate. Don't they look exactly like salmon roe used in sushi? The texture was almost exactly the same as well - squishy with a liquid inside that explodes when you bite into it. Luckily the liquid inside was a fruit juice, delivering a refreshing burst of moisture to the otherwise heavy dessert.

Complimentary Chocolate Caramel Hearts
We ended our meal with these adorable chocolate hearts! It was made of a thin chocolate cup with a smooth caramel-y filling.

Overall, I had a great experience at CinCin, and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Italian food!  It's a great option for those special occasions, or even if you're just looking to indulge. The service was friendly and attentive, despite it being a busy night. I will most definitely be returning soon to try out more of their dishes!

Taste: ★★★★★
Environment: ★★★★★
Service: ★★★★★
Price: $$$$

CinCin Ristorante + Bar
1154 Robson St
Vancouver, BC
CinCin Ristorante + Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...